Rich and decadent chocolate cake covered in nutella ganache that carries the most delicious flavor in every bite.
I celebrated my 27th birthday yesterday and it was one of my most memorable birthdays, despite not being able to have a big celebration party or dine out with family and friends. I did hang out with my little cousin (well she’s 18 but always be my little, my best friend), having a great lunch and of course, we stopped by a matcha ice cream place. It was a 45 minute drive but at the end of the day, we were all satisfied and happy.
My family tradition for someone’s birthday celebration is having dinner together, then someone else in a family will turn all the lights off and bring a cake to that person while everyone starts singing a happy birthday song. But we don’t do it on my birthday this year. Instead, we just had dinner and I made my own birthday cake and enjoyed it. No candle blowing out. No light turning off. But the loving messages I received from my family, friends and everyone around the world were the best birthday gift I could receive. So thank you from the bottom of my heart.
This nutella chocolate cake follows my chocolate cake recipe which yields a soft and moist texture while bringing out all the chocolate flavor every bite. You can make this recipe in a bundt pan, a 9 x 5 loaf pan, a round pan (make 2 8-inch round cakes), a square pan or even divide it into a muffin pan. Remember that baking times may differ slightly depending on the size of the pan you’re using. If you want to make a bundt cake like I did in this post, make sure that it’s well-greased (even into the details of the pan) and coat the inside pan with flour, otherwise the cake will stick to the pan and won’t come out as beautifully.
NUTELLA CHOCOLATE GANACHE
Not only the chocolate cake but also the ganache frosting will make the best birthday cake. Sometimes an additional ingredient will bring the ordinary to the next level. In this case, it’s nutella. You should soften the nutella by microwaving it for 10-20 seconds before adding to the chopped chocolate, then in a saucepan bring the heavy cream to simmer, until bubbles start to form around. Pour the hot cream to the chocolate mixture above, let it sit for a couple minutes before whisking.
You can wait until the cake is cool and pour the ganache over the cake or like me, pour it right away when the ganache is finished. Grab a piece and celebrate with me on my day!
More Birthday Cakes:
Nutella Chocolate Cake
For Chocolate Cake
- 1 tablespoon butter, for greasing the pan
- 1 tablespoon flour, for greasing the pan
- 1 3/4 cups (225g) all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (75g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (8ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
- 1 cup (240ml) hot coffee substitute with hot water
Nutella Chocolate Ganache
- 8 ounce (226g) semi-sweet chocolate bars, chopped
- 1/2 cup (150g) nutella
- 1 tablespoon (28g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (360ml) heavy cream or whipping cream
Make Chocolate Cake
- Preheat an oven to 350°F/175°C. Grease a 10-inch bundt pan with butter then coat with flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, oil, vanilla and buttermilk until combined. With a mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Then add hot coffee and stir to combine. Keep whisking until the batter is fully combined and smooth.
- Scrape the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the top is browning too fast while baking, cover pan loosely with aluminum foil. Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely. Then remove cake from pan, carefully inverting it onto a plate.
Nutella Chocolate Cake
- While the cake is cooling, make the nutella chocolate ganache. Chop chocolate and place them in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Place Nutella in a small bowl and microwave for 15-20 seconds until slightly warm and spreadable consistency. Add nutella to the chopped chocolate and set aside.
- In a small saucepan bring cream and butter to a simmer and bubbles are just starting to form around the edges of the pan. Remove from the heat. Pour over chocolate, allow to sit for 3-5 minutes.
- With a whisker or a metal spoon, gently stir in the cream and chocolate nutella mixture together until a smooth, silky consistency. You should not over whisk as it may cause air bubbles to the ganache.
- When the ganache is done, generously pour over the top of the chocolate cake. Garnish with nuts (optional). Slice and serve at room temperature.
- Store cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.