A creamy no bake cheesecake recipe that will be your favorite summer dessert! Filled with cream cheese and sour cream with Oreo cookies based crust, this recipe will leave you a refreshing and delicious cheesecake that does not even need an oven!
Let’s be honest: I am a huge fan of cheesecake, even whether it’s baked or no baked. I love the rich cheesy sour taste from its filling combined with crunchy crust at the bottom. Well, a slice of heaven! But, there’s one thing that I would not vote for summer: the heat. Wait, I know…uhm the heat features summery days but it’s too hot in which I’m living now is not the thing I really enjoy (to be honest, again!). I don’t feel like turning on my oven these days and no bake cheesecake recipe is exactly what I am thinking about.
My no bake cheesecake is the very basic vanilla cheesecake recipe that can be customized to suit your taste. It is easy, light and refreshing.
WHAT IS NO BAKE CHEESECAKE?
The name says it all, a no bake cheesecake does not require any baking skills. Here are the advantages of no bake cheesecake recipe:
- No eggs
- No oven
- No baking time required
- Ready to serve in few hours
No bake cheesecake is much easier than regular cheesecake. This is an easily good way to make your own cheesecake if you are new to baking. If you’ve ever baked any kind of traditional cheesecake before such as Newyork cheesecake, you might have probably experienced the risks like over baking, over beating the whipping cream or eggs. So, a no bake cheesecake is truly the fail-proof way to take a perfect cheesecake. No baking skill? No worries!
SO, WHAT’S IN NO BAKE CHEESECAKE?
A classic no bake cheesecake requires classic ingredients and every no bake cheesecake needs 2 separate processes: making the crust and making the filling.
For crusts, we will mix crushed cookies and melted butter. Graham crackers are the most commonly used but wafers or any type of cookies still works. This recipe uses Oreo cocoa cookies (with its filling removed) to make crusts and trust me, it tastes absolutely amazing!
For the filling, here are the cheesecake filling ingredients. Except the heavy cream, make sure the ingredients stay at room temperature.
- Cream cheese – I would suggest we use real cream cheese instead of cream cheese spread.
- Granulated sugar
- Sour cream – This will make a real cheesecake flavor. If you don’t have sour cream on hand, use plain yogurt instead with an equal amount. Yogurt is the easiest substitute for sour cream.
- Fresh lemon juice
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy cream
- Gelatin – using half of a tablespoon of gelatin powder is the key to thickening the cheesecake filling
TIPS TO MAKE A PERFECT NO BAKE CHEESECAKE
- As I mentioned above, cream cheese and sour cream should be at room temperature. This is important as it will avoid lump in your cheesecake
- Using fat cream cheese instead of low fat or fat free cream cheese. The cheesecake won’t be thick enough and you may experience the cheesecake soup (I bet you will not like it!)
- Use gelatin to set the cheesecake filling
- In this recipe, I make this cheesecake in a 8 inch springform pan because it’s easier to slice and serve but you can make this in a square baking pan too.
- When pouring the filling into the crust, make sure you pour from the higher. This will smooth out the filling and if you want the smoothly nice-looking slices of cake, I would recommend using icing spatula.
- Refrigerate at least 6 hours. You should not freeze it, just let it stay chilled for 6-8 hours.
- Dress up your classic cheesecake with berries, caramel sauce, fruit sauce or whipped cream. Or just serve it right away if you love a pure cheesecake slice.
No bake Cheesecake
- OREO CRUST
- 1 cup (100gr) Oreo cookies, filling removed
- ½ cup (55gr) unsalted butter, melted
- CHEESECAKE FILLING
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy cream, cold
- 2 8-ounce (452g) block full-fat cream cheese
- ⅓ cup (70g) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15g) powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup (80gr) sour cream or ⅓ cup (85g) plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ tablespoon (7g) unflavored gelatin powder
- 2 tablespoon (30ml) water, cold
Add Oreo cookies (filling removed) to a blender or a food processor. Grind for 3 to 5 minutes until they are crumbs.
Stir the Oreo crumbs and butter in a bowl and mix well until combined. Pour into an 8-inch springform pan and press it tight. Place a sheet of parchment paper or use a brush to spread the butter on the bottom before you add the graham cracker crust. This will make it easier to remove the cheesecake from the pan. Let it chill in the fridge for 20 minutes
Beat the cream cheese with granulated sugar until smooth and creamy using a hand mixer or a stand mixer on a medium speed for around 3 minutes.
Add sour cream, lemon juice and vanilla extract into the whipped cream bowl and mix until well combined. Set this mixture aside.
Whip the cold heavy cream and powdered sugar together in another bowl until stiff peaks on high speed.
In a small bowl whisk the gelatin powder and water together until they incorporate. Put in microwave for 20-25 seconds until it’s completely dissolved and liquid
Fold the whipped cream into the cheesecake filling until combined. Add gelatin and beat until incorporated
Remove crust from fridge and spread the filling into the crust. Tap twice to remove bubbles if possible. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
After the cheesecake is firm enough, add toppings if desired. I top this classic cheesecake with berries and mango. Serve it cool.