Sweet and tart cherry ice cream with a floral, fragrant note from lavender. This no-churn lavender cherry ice cream has never been more delicious or easy!
When cherries hit the shelves in grocery stores in abundance, it’s not easy for me to walk away without a few bags of them. Cherries, along with strawberries and peaches, are one of the signature summer fruits and we’ve been waiting every summer to have them at the peak of season, for the best flavor and texture.
I made Black Forest Cake and Chocolate Cherry Pavlovas last year, when I ended up with too many ripe cherries in the fridge. Oh don’t you tell me not to overbuy, because I did the same this year. With so many cherries glowing in a corner of the fridge, and summer heat coming on its way, making ice cream with the taste of summer only makes the flavors of the season more sensational.
NO CHURN STYLE ICE CREAM
This Lavender Cherry Ice cream is a no-churn style ice cream, which means you don’t need any fancy equipment (except stand mixer or hand mixer) or special skills to make delicious homemade ice cream. A basic no-churn ice cream starts with the whipping of heavy cream to stiff peaks, followed by the folding in of sweetened condensed milk, and an addition of flavor if desired, and then a freezing period.
This Lavender Cherry Ice Cream uses these basic ingredients and steps, with the addition of homemade cherry sauce and lavender infused milk.
HOW TO MAKE CHERRY SAUCE
Cherries need to be washed and pitted before taking any further steps. Then, in a medium saucepan, place cherries, water, lemon juice, corn starch and sugar and whisk until combined. Place the saucepan over the medium heat and stir until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
LAVENDER INFUSED MILK
To make lavender infused milk, you’ll simply put the milk and lavender in a saucepan and bring the mixture slowly to the boil. Reduce from the heat and allow the mixture to sit to infuse for 15-30 minutes. Place plastic wrap over the surface of the milk (to prevent a skin from forming) and place the milk into the fridge to cool completely (it’ll take around 2 hours). When it’s cool, strain out the lavender.
HOW TO MAKE LAVENDER CHERRY ICE CREAM
In a large bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks have formed. Then fold in the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, cherry sauce and lavender infused milk using rubber spatula until everything is combined. Transfer ice cream into an airtight container covered with plastic wrap on top. Freeze for at least 8 hours or until firm, then enjoy.
More Ice Cream Flavors:
Lavender Cherry Ice Cream
- 2 cups (1/2 lb or 225g) sweet cherries, (fresh or frozen), pitted*
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) water
- 2 teaspoons (5g) cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) lemon juice
- 1tablespoon (15g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender
- 1/3 cup (66ml) whole milk
- 2 cups (480ml) very cold heavy cream, place heavy cream in the freezer 15 minutes before whipping
- 1/2 14-ounce can (198g) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To Make Cherry Sauce: In a medium saucepan, whisk together cherries, water, lemon juice, cornstarch and granulated sugar until combined. Place the saucepan over the medium heat and cook until it starts to thicken. Make sure to stir frequently during the cooking process. Once it’s thickened, remove from heat and cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To Make Lavender Infused Milk: Combine milk and dried lavender in a small saucepan, then bring the mixture slowly to the boil. Reduce from the heat, cover the saucepan and allow the mixture to steep for 15-30 minutes. Place plastic wrap over the surface of the milk (to prevent a skin from forming) and place the milk into the fridge to cool completely (it’ll take about 2 hours). When it’s cool, strain the lavender out of the mixture and reserve the milk. Store the lavender infused milk in the fridge until ready to use.
- To Make Lavender Cherry Ice Cream: In a large bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peak forms. Pour the sweetened condensed milk mixture into the whipped cream, followed by cherry sauce, lavender infused milk, vanilla extract and salt and fold together with a spatula until well-combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a chilled loaf pan or any kind of container, wrap up tightly with a plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 8 hours, or preferably overnight.