Smooth and decadent hot chocolate that is rich in chocolate flavor, perfect for snuggling up on winter days.
Hey, we are in 2022. Wishing you all a happy, healthy and peaceful New Year. How was your holiday celebration? I love to hear it from you because, unfortunately, we could not celebrate the New Year’s Eve the way we used to do since we were sick.
Being sick sucked but that did not stop us from doing things we love. That would be fun to celebrate with a group of people like family and friends and that’s what we did last year! Fireworks, champagne and countdown. Lots of hugs and cheers. This year, we made hot chocolate instead of having champagne and watched the countdown from YouTube, while snuggling up on a couch with a cozy blanket.
Besides chai latte, hot chocolate is the drink that I would pick to suit myself on winter days. This hot chocolate isn’t the type that you should serve quickly. The heavy cream and melted chocolate make this hot chocolate rich and decadent, so I will take it as slowly as I can. Enjoy the moment when every single sip of hot chocolate melts in your mouth, thus gradually warm yourself up. It’s pretty rich, so I would serve it in a small mug rather than a big jar.
Hot chocolate is also the type of drink that you can make in a way that suits your own taste. I’ve usually spoiled myself with a rich hot chocolate, which means I will use heavy cream in the recipe. However, you can replace the cream with milk, or use cocoa powder instead of a chocolate bar. You can also add just a pinch of spices such as cinnamon, or level up with a bit of espresso powder/instant coffee granules/brewed coffee or make it fancy with a drop of your favorite liquor. Make this hot chocolate in your own way!
- 1 1/2 cup (360ml) milk, any kind
- 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream
- 6 oz (170g) dark or semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream for garnish, optional
- In a small saucepan, heat heavy cream, milk and chocolate on medium heat until just simmering (it should be steamy but not boiling) while stirring frequently. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract, keep stirring until the chocolate is fully melted and incorporated. The mixture at this time should be smooth. Pour into glasses and serve immediately.
- Garnish with whipped cream and grated chocolate, optional.